Formal research debriefs and detailed reports have their place. However, using video can offer a more engaging way of presenting the findings. Working with market researchers, Irwin Video make films which not only bring consumers to life, but also have the power to convey important messages to its audience more quickly and effectively.
We have recently produced a research documentary with GfK Kynetec, who were asked by one of their clients to produce a film depicting ‘a day in the life of’ a professional pest manager (PPM). The research was conducted with PPM’s in the USA.
Our two-man crew of Andrew and Matty flew out to the US to film 11 interviews across two weeks in New Jersey, Georgia and North Carolina. The filming of each respondent was in two parts: The first part was a sit down interview, conducted by Damon, the Research Director from GfK Kynetec. The second part of the filming involved following the respondent around their workplace or going about their duty in clients’ homes.
For the interview part, the video crew used a portable lighting kit to nicely illuminate the respondent, and set up a fixed boom microphone for good quality audio pick up. Andrew filmed the interviews with a Canon C100 cinema camera. Once the interview was under way, Matty left Andrew to it and used a Canon 5D DSLR camera on a portable rig to film B-Roll shots around the respondent’s office or workshop.
At the end of each filming day, Andrew transferred the interview recordings to an MPEG-4 proxy file: This is a compressed recording with on-screen rolling time-code; it is an easy-to-view file which Damon could take away on a USB pen drive.
Once filming was complete we set about editing the research documentary. Referencing the on-screen time-code information, Damon could easily identify the clips that he wished to consider for inclusion in the final film. Our video editor expertly combined the interview clips with selected B-Roll footage and added music and titles to compliment the film.
We uploaded the draft versions of the film to our secure file sharing server for Damon to download and watch. On the first viewing of the research documentary Damon sent us an email exclaiming “Wow – this looks great! Really, really impressive stuff.”
Qualitative research specialists Stratosphere recently commissioned Irwin Video to create a consumer insight film for a leading UK home and garden accessories supplier. The research involved video recording in-home and in-store one-on-one interviews over three days in the North-West of England, and the footage was edited into a highly engaging 15-minute film. Remarking on the completed film, Steve Williams of Stratosphere said, “I think this is absolutely brilliant. I am really chuffed with how this has turned out. Based on this, I plan to offer filming as often as possible on future jobs!”
Qualitative research specialists Stratosphere recently commissioned Irwin Video to create a consumer insight film for a leading UK home and garden accessories supplier. The research involved video recording in-home and in-store one-on-one interviews over three days in the North-West of England, and the footage was edited into a highly engaging 15-minute film. Remarking on the completed film, Steve Williams of Stratosphere said, “I think this is absolutely brilliant. I am really chuffed with how this has turned out. Based on this, I plan to offer filming as often as possible on future jobs!” Irwin Video have completed many consumer insight films and have streamlined the film-making process:
- At the end of each filming day, we hand over a USB pen drive to the researcher, which contains a “proxy” copy of all the interview recordings. These files are highly compressed to make the file sizes manageable and can be played in any media player, including Windows, QuickTime or VLC. The files also have time-code “burnt” into the video – a rolling clock on-screen making it easy for the researcher to reference the recordings.
- The researcher selects the clips they would like to use by entering the in-point and out-point time-codes of each comment into an Excel spreadsheet (template provided by us.)
- Editing with the original high definition video recordings, we use the Excel clipping list to create the required clips and then we upload them to our secure server. The researcher can download the clips and select which ones they would like in the final edit.
- We sequence the clips, adding text, graphics and creativity as required, to produce a draft edit of the film. Once again, the film is made available as a download to our clients so they can quickly offer feedback and request ‘tweaks’ before the final version is encoded in a high quality video format.
Video, if done well, has the power to boost customer engagement and undoubtedly help to convert sales. It is now well known that search engines love video, so adding video content to your web site will also help increase web traffic.
Irwin Video provide high-quality, good value video production. We make creative corporate films that will not only provide engaging content for your website or trade stand, but will also present your company with the professional image it deserves. We take care of the scripting, filming, editing and final delivery of your video, to produce a video which will create a great impression to your customers or clients.
The types of videos that we produce include:
- Promotional Video / Corporate Film
- Training Video
- Product Demonstration Video
- CEO Presentations
- Consumer Insight Films
We can also produce foreign language versions of your film, using subtitles or foreign voice-over artists, helping you to reach out to customers in overseas markets.